The Cubberley site provides a unique opportunity for PAUSD and the City to plan a creative co-location of community services and school(s) that could work together to make this valuable public property a respected even enviable part of our community.
It is helpful to know what is provided now at Cubberley:
- Artists in Residence – 22 artists in studios. Co-location yields benefits to community and to artists; model is being copied in locations around the world.
- Resident Dance Programs – Three dance studios plus several small companies share spaces, providing a complementary community and a variety of classes for all ages and abilities.
- Outdoor Sports – Four softball fields and four soccer fields allow spring, summer, and fall youth leagues to practice and play Monday – Saturday. Adults use the fields heavily on Sundays. Tennis courts are used heavily at all hours. The football field and track are used regularly for soccer, football and jogging.
- Indoor Sports and Fitness – A wide array of sports and fitness classes for all ages and abilities.
- Senior Programs – Avenidas is interested in increasing opportunities for seniors and combining the existing Senior Wellness, Stroke & Cardiovascular programs. Cubberley also hosts Senior Friendship Day and other senior social activities.
- Preschool care and after-school care – Such care provides for early learning and enables parents to work, confident that their children are thriving.
- Music – Palo Alto Chamber Orchestra, Peninsula Women’s Chorus, Peninsula Piano School, Palo Alto Philharmonic, and El Camino Youth Symphony.
- Education – Foothill College, the City, and the School District all offer classes, many of which are adult education classes.
- General – Friends of Palo Alto Library, Wildlife Rescue, theater programs and spiritual groups.
This is a partial list:
The Friends of the Palo Alto Library (FOPAL) Book Sale With 155 energetic volunteers contributing more than 23,800 hours annually, the Friends have raised well over a million dollars to improve Palo Alto libraries just in recent years. The wildly popular monthly booksales at the Cubberley Community Center, find new readers for 270,000 books and raise approximately $200,000 for the libraries each year. The Friends encourage everyone to donate their used books, CDs, and DVDs and also to attend the sales, where prices are extremely reasonable. Unsold books go to schools, other libraries, hospitals, prisons, Native American reservations, and international relief efforts.
Acme Education Center (after-school & summer programs: Chinese & English)
Audobon Society (hourly renter)
Bay Area Amphibian & Reptile Society
Bay Area Arabic School
California Law Revision Commission
Cardiac Therapy Foundation
Castilleja School Tennis
Children’s Preschool Center
Commonwealth Club (hourly renter)
The Cubberley Artists program: http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=2104
Dance Kaiso/Wilfred Mark
Drop-in public use of fields and tennis courts
Dutch School of Silicon Valley
Earth Day Film Festival (event rental)
El Camino Youth Symphony
Friday Night Dancers
Good Neighbor Montessori
Gunn High School Tennis
Heritage Music Festivals
Hua Kuang Chinese Reading Room
Kumon Math and Reading
Meeting Room Rentals
Museo Italo Americano (Italian language classes)
Nuber Folk Dance
Office of Emergency Serivces of PAFD/PAPD (weekly EMS training)
Palo Alto AYSO
Palo Alto Chamber Orchestra
Palo Alto Philharmonic
Palo Alto Girls Softball
Palo Alto Mediation Services
Palo Alto Mothers Club (meetings)
Palo Alto Philharmonic
Palo Alto Preparatory School
Palo Alto Soccer Club
Palo Alto Table Tennis Club
Palo Alto Tennis Club
PAUSD Adult School (gardening classes & Senior Friendship Day at this site)
PAUSD Post Graduate program
Peninsula Piano School
Peninsula Women’s Chorus
Peninsula Youth Theater
Raices de Mexico Ballet Folklorico
REACH (post-stroke recovery program of Foothill College)
The Red Thistle Dancers
Sankalpa Dance Foundation
Saturday Night Ballroom Dancing
SCC Registrar of Voters (civic service)
Shiva Murugan Temple
Temporary Mitchell Park Library
Temporary Teen Center (currently closed)
Traditional Wushu Association
USTA Leagues (tennis)
Vaidica Vidya Ganapathi Center
Various leauge tournaments
Waldorf School of the Peninsula (theater)
Zohar Dance Company & Studio